How does RunRev finds externals when building the standalone?

Brian Yennie briany at qldlearning.com
Fri Oct 10 03:44:46 EDT 2008

Tiemo,

Although I hope someone can help you make things work with the
standalone builder, there is a manual way to set the externals for a
stack which was used before the standalone builder did things for you.
You can create an empty stack, set its externals property and load
this stack when you need it from your standalone.

Roughly:

1) Create an empty stack, call it say "valentina.rev"
2) In the message box, execute: set the externals of this stack to
"v4rev.bundle"&cr&"v4rev.dll"
3) Save this stack and the Valentina externals to somewhere where you
standalone will be able to access them
4) Modify your application to do something like this:

set the directory to "path.to.externals/" (this could be a relative
path)
start using stack "valentina.rev"

There are many variations on how you could setup the files, but the
takeaway is this:

Whenever Rev loads a stack with it's "externals" property set, it will
attempt to load the externals listed.
 From a standalone, you can load a regular stack which you've stashed
somewhere which already has this property set.
Thus if you can anticipate where your externals will be (using
relative paths to your standalone), you can create a stack which
serves to load them for you.

Hope that helps. It's easier when the standalone builder just works,
but it can be handy to get to know the lower level workings of
external loading as well.