Why I didn't, and why I may, later.

Bob Sneidar bobs at twft.com
Thu Oct 9 13:11:28 EDT 2008

I just want to chime in on this a bit.

In the past, one of the reasons cited for Windows continued stability
problems was their apparent need to maintain backward compatibility
with hardware and older software. It seems that their huge market
share turned out to be somewhat of an achilles heel to future
development.

Now in this day and age everyone wants faster, bigger, more powerful.
Ok. Fair enough. But is it fair to then demand compatibility for new
operating systems with older hardware technologies? I don't think so.
You can't have your cake and eat it to. I for one would be dismayed if
Apple chose to stifle innovation and progress in favor of "backward
compatibility". It would kill the company IMHO. People buy Apple
products because they want and sometimes even NEED the latest greatest
technology.

And let's not forget that Apple has a GREAT track record for
longevity. My father has purchased at least 3 new PC's in the last 6
years, because each time he wants to upgrade, his PC doesn't have the
performance, or memory, or hard drive etc. to support the latest
Windows OS. I still have my powerbook from a long time ago, and
although I am using the company's Intel Macbook Pro, that old
Powerbook is still a very viable platform.

And let's be honest here. The older machines are STILL running and any
software you buy today STILL run on it, and it isn't even painful!
Just because you cannot have the latest greatest OS on a 3 year old
machine does not mean you bury it in the ground and build a funeral
pyre over it.

Bob Sneidar
IT Manager
Logos Management