OT: Parallels 4

Bob Sneidar bobs at twft.com
Mon Nov 24 19:47:37 EST 2008

Hi Jacqueline.

I have upgraded, and no it is not very smooth. I would make a backup
of your hard drive image before proceeding.

The bugaboo comes in when they try to do the upgrade automatically,
but the script is not a very good one. At some point they ask you to
log in and launch the Parallels Tools installer (in case it does not
auto launch, which mine did not). But they don't exactly explain it
very well. Now if you are so very unwise as to force the machine to
restart (because at one point it seems you are stuck) you will
probably damage your Windows installation to where it will go into an
endless loop trying to boot to where you can log in and it never gets
there.

Thankfully I had a copy of the image file. I got a second chance to go
at it again and figured out what it was they were asking me to do.
After the first restart, they want to install the Parallels Tools, but
the installer cannot run until you LOG IN FIRST! Sometimes Windows
goes nutz at that point and won't auto launch the CD image of the
tools, so  they are saying you might have to do that yourself.

The other thing that happens is your mouse will stop working! It's
easily fixed if you have a USB mouse. Just unplug it and replug it in.
Parallels will ask you if you want to use the new USB device. Normally
you would answer NO because the USB mouse or keyboard would then
belong ONLY TO WINDOWS. But in this case you DO want Windows to have
control of the mouse, because that is the only way you are going to
click on anything at this point.

Better yet, if you have a second mouse, just plug that in and use that
inside Windows. That way the Mac mouse will still be available. Once
Parallels Tools finishes installing and you restart your PC, all will
be well again.

Bob Sneidar
IT Manager
Logos Management