Legacy Standalone

Richmond Mathewson geradamas at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 7 14:42:29 EST 2008

Joe Lewis Wilkins wrote:

"I've created a Legacy Standalone, but it will not open."

First of all; what do you mean by a 'Legacy Standalone' ?

Do you mean:

1. A standalone made to run on an out-dated OS (such as Mac Classic) ?

2. Something quite different ?

"The rev stack was saved as a Legacy Stack"

If that was so, what did you build the standalone with?

I, personally, build a lot of stacks for Mac OS 9 with Runtime Revolution 2.0.1; they work delightfully well.

I pump my stacks onto a dedicated Mac OS 9 machine via my domestic intranet (i.e. a few cables on a switch), then open them in RR 2.0.1, play around with them to see that they behave themselves [always remembering that fancy features introduced since 2.0.1 aren't going to show], and run off Mac OS 8/9 standalones.

I also produce a lot for Ubuntu Linux; and my rule (after some fairly revolting foul-ups) is never to build a standalone for one platform on another platform. Having said that, on the few occasions I have built something for a client who uses Microsoft Windows I have resorted to using Connectix Virtual PC on my G4.

sincerely, Richmond Mathewson.

A Thorn in the flesh is better than a failed Systems Development Life Cycle.