Is RR too easy? Or too hard? (was) Is RunRev marketed to developers mainly?

marty marty at ucls.uchicago.edu
Thu May 29 12:34:00 EDT 2008

Is it true that most programmers say that hypercard isn't
programming?  Do they say that about RR?  I'm running into that issue
a little bit.

Some of my students (8th grade and up) think that RR is not a "real"
programming language.  Why?  It's too easy!  They have the notion --
shared by a good portion of the general public -- that programming is
incredibly difficult to do, hard to learn, and mastered only by
geeks.  Thus, since making things (even executables) using RR is so
easy, it must not be programming.  This viewpoint is especially
expressed by students who have dabbled in other languages, like java.

On the other side of the aisle, I'd like to begin urging other
teachers to begin making their own software to use with their
classes.  But they think it's too hard!  (Granted, most of them
haven't really tried it -- they hear words like "programming" or
"writing software" and shy away.)

Sigh....
   - marty

--
Marty Billingsley
The University of Chicago Laboratory Schools