Is RunRev marketed to developers mainly?

Sarah Reichelt sarah.reichelt at gmail.com
Wed May 28 17:42:29 EDT 2008

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 6:59 AM, william humphrey <shoreagent at gmail.com> wrote:
> I just wrote a fairly long rant about the USER space on RunRev (and the lack
> of good example stacks for database use with RunRev) and it got me to
> thinking. How do you think the market for RunRev is defined? Is it 95%
> developers and 5% hobbyists? Does it have to be that way because anything
> powerful enough for developers must have a dash of "difficulty of use"
> or developers won't use it?
> Or is the amateur hobbyist market so small that it should just be ignored?
> If that is so it would explain lots of things about RunRev and Valentina.

I have no idea of the stats, but I would guess that there are a lot
more than 5% hobbyists. I think there are a great many people who are
not professional programmers, but who use Rev at work and are able to
construct their own software because of it's ease of use - I'm not
sure what category you would put them into.

With regard to Valentina, I think that it alone is much more likely to
be aimed at professionals. In my Rev work, I have almost never felt
the need for an external database. I used MySQL in one project which
had to be multi-user, but mostly, I prefer to use Rev's own data
storage mechanisms. Given the price of Valentina, I have never been
convinced of it's value to me. I'm sure people in different situations
have found it very useful, but I think that would be only a small
subset of Rev users. (I'm sure that Ruslan or Lynn will jump in here
to show me how wrong I am :-).

Have you tried asking the Valentina list for any Rev examples?

Cheers,
Sarah