integrating rsync with Rev

David Bovill david at openpartnership.net
Sat May 24 09:57:32 EDT 2008

Josh - I'd like to do some work on the rsync / expect thing this weekend -
so if you have a stack or any code you could post that would be great. I'll
try to extend it to work with svn as well. ````

This is the set-up and issues I've got. I am sure others have had the same
and it would be great to put together a few command line tools that can be
controlled and customized in Rev to help with the job.

   1. Got a new computer and I want to install Rev on it
   2. Got a new NAS that I want to move media files and shared software
   onto.
   3. Got several other computers on the LAN with different operating
   systems that I use to test and develop Rev based software
   4. Got around 30 libraries, assorted plugins and a few hundred archived
   projects and components built in Rev kept in local folders
   5. Got a large media archive on a USB drives (>500MB) that I want to move
   onto the NAS
   6. I have most of the Rev files and scripts in SVN - so I can keep them
   in sync between computers, and I have a Rev interface to SVN.

The problem I have had is that moving the files onto the NAS is slow and
some of the files have problems copying due to file names and other issues.
Failed copies leaves me in a situation where I am not sure all the files
have copied and which ones have not. I'd like to have a flexible set up so
that some of the files are backed up (mirrored locally) while other are just
shifted over now and the local copy deleted.

Solutions:

   - install rsync on the NAS and use rsync to copy over the files and sync
   any folders that want mirroring in the longer term
   - zip the archive into one large 500MB file and copy it over? Will this
   work or is it too large?
   - use some other ftp like software to reliably copy over the entire
   directory structure?
   - hand roll Rev based software to copy over the files and folders
   recovering from any errors