Image discoloration in 2.8.1

Jeff Reynolds jeff at siphonophore.com
Sat May 3 15:18:22 EDT 2008

HI,

i have been finishing up a museum project in rev 2.8.1. I didn't want
to flip to 2.9 until this was done as 2.8 was being totally stable on
development of this and its a pretty simple application and i was in a
huge rush.

just noticed one odd thing though that i think i saw a long time ago
in another version of rev. when i have a background picture and then
place a smaller image on top of it thats the same as the image behind
it i notice a slight contrast change occur in the smaller image on top
(so you end up being able to see where the edges of the top image
are). the smaller image was cut out of the same file as the background
image and i have tried this with all file formats and get the same
result. i can take the smaller image back from the file into the
background image in photoshop and they merge perfectly so its not that
there is a lot of degradation going on in creating the background and
foreground images.

the odd thing is that the smaller the foreground image the more it
seems to get tweaked.

luckily i have been able to work around this using some transparent
gifs and knocking image edges back to places where you dont notice any
contrast change of the foreground piece (mainly using this to pop some
buttons in on top of the background pattern for the interface screen.

have not had the time to test in 2.9 yet (opening is may 10 so no
fooling till exhibit is up and running happily), but was wondering if
others have noticed this and if its still happening at all in 2.9. its
something you dont notice until you put a smaller section of the same
image over the top of the same image in the correct registration. also
seems to be more noticeable in some images/patterns/colors/contrasts
than others...

otherwise revolution is doing swimmingly at the task again of handling
data for presentation of 1000 video clips in the exhibit and doing
telnet control of a video player! actually thought i would not program
this one for once and farm it out, got some pretty crazy price bids to
do the job that has taken me a week or two to do in revolution! now i
see why my clients are always so happy to pay my fees for programming
stuff like this for them in revolution, they are obviously getting
other (non revolution based) bids and i am only charging them for the
time i do, not the competitive total bid cost!

Jeffrey Reynolds