Fixing MacOS File Names for a NAS

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Fri May 2 23:23:16 EDT 2008

On Sat, May 3, 2008 at 10:50 AM, Paul Looney <simplsol at aol.com> wrote:

> Actually it IS gigabit ethernet (with the $200 droboshare attachment).

My understanding is it isn't. I believe the Droboshare is gigabit but it
connects to the Drobo by the same old USB connection as if you'd connected
direct to your computer, so my impression is that it is still restricted to
USB speeds - a shame considering you fill it with SATA drives.

Even if I'm wrong, at $700 for an empty enclosure plus the attachment so you
can shared via wired and wifi networks doesn't seem to compete too well with
a 1TB TimeCapsule. Actually, you could pick up a Mac Mini for less than $200
and just plug the Drobo into that and achieve similar (no wifi) for less.

I think I'll wait for the Chinese to copy it, then wait for the Taiwanese to
improve it with true gigabit connection or direct eSATA and then buy for
less ;-)