How to indicate window needs saving

mfstuart mfstuart at cox.net
Thu Mar 20 20:17:33 EDT 2008

Did a google search with "windows hig". Didn't find anything relevant.

But what I do in an edit-record type form, (built in another language for
Windows) is place the following 3 buttons at the bottom right of the form:
Save and Close, Save and New, Close
The first 2 buttons are disabled at opening of the form.

When the user starts editing values on the form (changing field values), I
then set a variable to TRUE.
If this variable is TRUE, then the first 2 buttons become enabled. The text
on the Close button is changed to Cancel.
First up, this is a visual sign to the user that they need to respond to the
system, because they changed values. (a somewhat push/pull affect)
If they press Escape of click Cancel on the edit form, they are prompted in
a dialog box to: save the changes by clicking Yes, exit without saving
changes by clicking No, or they can click Cancel on the dialog box which
returns them to the edit-record form. This last option allows the user to
continue editing the record detail. Choosing No, loses all changes and
closes the form.

Regards,
Mark stuart