Lowering high CPU rates?

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sun Mar 16 13:22:12 EDT 2008

Richard Gaskin wrote:

> Do you use and progress bars?  If so, I've found them very
> cycle-consuming, and I tend to update them infrequently now when I'm
> working with large data sets.

I'll confirm that. I recently wrote a script that had to process a lot
of data, and I added a progress bar as a matter of course. The script
took 6 seconds to complete. That felt like quite a long time, so I
started adjusting the progress update to only change every so many
cycles. The longer between updates, the faster the script ran. Then I
had an epiphany and removed the progress bar altogether -- and the same
data got processed in about a dozen milliseconds. The entire lag was the
progress bar!

Rev is so fast, sometimes you forget.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com