why XHTML cannot be parsed with RevXML ?

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Sat Mar 15 15:39:58 EDT 2008

On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 14:54:05 +0100, David Bovill wrote:

> Paolo - from memory the issue is not that you cannot parse valid XHTML with
> Revs XML externals, rather that Revs native htmltext is not valid XML and
> therefore cannot be parsed using Revs XML externals! Strange but true.
> However from memory the problem is caused by html entities not being escaped
> in htmltext and breaking the XML parsing. You can get around this by
> replacing the htmltext enitities with XML compliant ones.
>
> You should not have any problems with valid XHTML though.

Right, that's my understanding as well... the main issue for XML
parsers is that a lot of HTML is not compliant - for example using a
single <P> instead of <P></P>. This leaves an open tag without a
closing tag. Now if it is *valid* XHTML, you *should* be able to parse
the tags with XML parsing tools (Rev's included). Can you provide an
example of compliant XHTML syntax that doesn't parse? Just curious...

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software, Inc.
Email: kray at sonsothunder.com
Web Site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/