WPAD and DHCP Servers

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Fri Jun 27 23:10:01 EDT 2008

Hi,

In my quest to come up with a library that plays nicely with proxy
servers in as many situations as possible I'm working on an
implementation of the WPAD protocol for Revolution. When looking for
the wpad.dat file you first ask for option 252 from a local DHCP
server and the server will return a string pointing to wpad.dat. If
that doesn't work then you move on to DNS and look for the wpad
subdomain using the host name as the starting point.

I think I have the DNS portion figured out and I've coded an
implementation using 'the hostName' and hostNameToAddress() (not
tested yet).

I'm a little lost when it comes to the DHCP however. I am assuming
that I should try to contact the DHCP server as defined in the network
settings. On my local network that is 192.168.1.1. What I'm not sure
about is how to send a request for option 252.

Is there anybody out there who is familiar with WPAD, DHCP and how to
talk to a DHCP server an could share some insight?

Thanks,

--
Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Learning Systems