Is Revolution build on top of Cocoa or Carbon?

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 1 00:31:43 EDT 2008

--- Kevin Walzer <kw at codebykevin.com> wrote:
> Evaluating Revolution on OS X 10.5.2, and wondering
> if its Mac engine is
> built on top of Carbon or Cocoa. Carbon's days seem
> limited (no 64-bit
> support, even Adobe is rewriting Photoshop in
> Cocoa), so I'm wondering
> if Revolution will follow suit. Anyone know?

You don't particularly need 64-bit for regular
applications - this is only needed for extremely
memory-hungry processes such as database servers and
audio/video editors. And frankly, I wouldn't build
those in Revolution to begin with.
Now I'm pretty sure that Revolution is built on Carbon
for Mac-specific features - though the bulk of the
code is cross-platform C++ which they could layer
Cocoa on top of - this is how other cross-platform
application vendors such as Adobe do it.
So I wouldn't particularly worry about this Carbon vs
Cocoa non-debate. Apple is not going to drop the
Carbon API in Snow Leopard, even if it was decided not
to make Carbon 64-bit.

Jan Schenkel.

Quartam Reports & PDF Library for Revolution
<http://www.quartam.com>

=====