[OT] Validating Email Addresses...

Jim Carwardine jim at oyfconsulting.com
Tue Jan 29 09:28:46 EST 2008

Hi Folks... I offer some free downloads on my web site...

(a web site I will be recreating using Rev - so I feel some legitimacy
asking the question on this list - as I will need to do something in Rev
ultimately)

... And I'm asking for some contact information from the downloader (fair
trade I feel).  I'm getting a lot of garbage being offered by people who
want a look but don't want to give their info.

Screening for legitimate email addresses is done on many web sites and I
understand:

1. Checking for the @ sign - a very weak edit.
2. Sending the download link by email to the downloader's email address -
pretty strong edit.

What I see some web sites do is legitimize the email address on the spot and
immediately deny access if the email is illegitimate.  How is this done?

Any other great ideas about screening email addresses?

Thanks... Jim

Jim Carwardine,
President & CEO
OYF Consulting
Ph. 902.823.2339 / 866.601.2339
Fx. 902.823-2139
<www.StrategicDoing.com>

StrategicDoing: Execution depends on employees.
Strategic Partner with HiringSmart Canada Ltd.