Localizing menus

Eric Chatonet eric.chatonet at sosmartsoftware.com
Mon Jan 28 12:14:36 EST 2008

Hi Mark,

Le 28 janv. 08 à 17:55, Mark Smith a écrit :

> I've got this little freeware app for backing up files from an
> iPod, and one of my french users has asked about localizing it.
> I've read through the past threads on the list, and I've got a
> decent custom property scheme working for all the bits and pieces
> in the UI.
> However, I'm wondering about the menus - this is on OS X.
>
> Take the 'Edit' menu. Setting the label of btn "Edit" to
> "Édition" (extracted from my cp set) at start up is no problem, but
> then I need to replace the menuItems "Cut, Copy, Paste" with their
> localized counterparts, and also respond to the menuPick messages
> for each. This seems quote complicated. Has anyone some advice they
> can give me?
>
> Also, if anyone has the time, ability and inclination to help with
> translating the 20 words and phrases used into any other languages
> that would be amazing.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark

I would suggest to use machine language as a basis (see GetUserLang
from Trevor on RevOnline: a fine piece of code) then populate menus
from custom properties sets (or better from an external file that
will make maintenance easy).
Menupick handlers will be handled using lineOffset in order to refer
to the current contents of the menu rather than using hard coded
values: this will allow you to code a single multi-lingual MenuPick
handler.

Best regards from Paris,
Eric Chatonet.