OT: MacBook randomly shuts down..

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Fri Jan 4 04:07:40 EST 2008

On Fri, 4 Jan 2008 01:34:19 -0600, Chipp Walters wrote:

> My MacBook...about a year old or so, just randomly shuts down. Started about
> a month ago, but I don't use it more than a couple of times a month. I'm
> pretty sure it knows I hate it-- and that's why it's misbehaving. So, I
> Googled "MacBook shuts off" and there's a huge amount of people out there
> this is happening to. I'll go by an Apple store tomorrow and see if they
> have any suggestions..but thought I would check here, as many of you
> probably have MacBooks and may have gone through this.

Yes, in fact I've been going through this for the last three months
with my MacBookPro... for a long time I couldn't tell from the various
blogs I was reading exactly what the problem was until I ran Apple
Hardware Test, and it pointed me to the fact that it has to do with the
fans not turning on when they're supposed to, and the processor
overheats and shuts off. I've DL'ed and am running smcFanControl
(http://homepage.mac.com/holtmann/eidac/), and I haven't had it
shutdown ever since I had it installed.  My understanding is that it's
a logic board defect, and when I get a chance I'm going to get it
fixed, but for now controlling the fans seems to be working.

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software, Inc.
Email: kray at sonsothunder.com
Web Site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/