OT: MacBook randomly shuts down..

Sarah Reichelt sarah.reichelt at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 03:51:25 EST 2008

On Jan 4, 2008 5:34 PM, Chipp Walters <chipp at chipp.com> wrote:
> My MacBook...about a year old or so, just randomly shuts down. Started about
> a month ago, but I don't use it more than a couple of times a month. I'm
> pretty sure it knows I hate it-- and that's why it's misbehaving. So, I
> Googled "MacBook shuts off" and there's a huge amount of people out there
> this is happening to. I'll go by an Apple store tomorrow and see if they
> have any suggestions..but thought I would check here, as many of you
> probably have MacBooks and may have gone through this.

Hi Chipp,

I'm surprised you didn't have this happening long ago, as it was a big
thing for MacBooks at one stage. It was an issue with the temperature
sensors. They are designed to shutdown the MacBook when the
temperature gets too high, but there was a bug in the programming so
they were shutting down randomly. At first it was thought to require a
hardware fix, but after that, a firmware solution was released. Check
for firmware updates and that should solve the problem.

Cheers,
Sarah