about Voyager Expanded Books

Colin Holgate coiin at rcn.com
Mon Feb 4 13:02:39 EST 2008

On Feb 4, 2008, at 12:50 PM, Mark Wieder wrote:

>> released, where you had to create a project in a save-disabled
>> version  of
>> the program, and send that in (try to work that out!). I won a tee-
>
> ...all right - I'll bite. How in the world did you manage that?

mTropolis could publish in various ways, and the save disabled one
would not let you save a project, but you could publish out a playback
only version. This meant you had to do something interesting in one
sitting (these days I wouldn't be surprised about a program staying
open for days, but those were the days when that wasn't so likely, and
you needed real RAM to have lots of programs open). The competition
was held before the release of v1.0 of the program, and so it was with
a beta version. I set about doing the thing I had in mind, and after
about four hours of working on it the application crashed. I started
from scratch, but was nicely warmed up now, and managed to redo the
work, and finish off, in about 2 1/2 hours, and then I published the
read only one and sent that in. The source file literally never existed!