Widow control

DunbarX at aol.com DunbarX at aol.com
Tue Dec 23 12:45:18 EST 2008

So you have ten lines of data that have to fit into three four line fields?
And this does not divide evenly so you made two sets of three lines and one set
of four?   Could there have been another possible valid breakup of that data
into the three fields? And the data might of necessity run to a group of five
lines, creating a widow (or in another scenario, an orphan)?

That you have to add a page numbering line just reduces the available field
lines from four to three, correct?

Did you note that all my comments are questions?

Is one entire record that original ten lines? Or does it comprise more than
one record? Do the "$" symbols indicate logical separations in the data? If so,
do not these delimit your data cleanly so you can parse it?

I see a pile of lines that has to be broken in some controlled way into
smaller piles based on some logic that keeps certain lines together. I thought you
had added the "$" signs for just that purpose; a superfluous delimiter that
you can use to do the breaking up, and then delete en masse. I assume you always
know where to put the delimiters based on the structure of your data and the
way it needs to be outputted.

Why do I think I am not getting it?

Craig Newman