Flash + RevBrowser + Mac Problems

Ben Rubinstein benr_mc at cogapp.com
Mon Dec 22 13:02:15 EST 2008

Scott Rossi wrote:
> Has anyone on the list done much work with interactive Flash movies played
> within RevBrowser?
>
> I have some Flash content that displays clickable products and runs great on
> Windows, but performance is terrible on OS X.  Clicks on the Flash content
> are intermittently unresponsive, and it seems the only way to trigger
> interactivity at all is to move the mouse outside the stack, and then back
> into the browser instance.  I not sure where to start to solve this issue
> because the same content/stack works as expected on Windows.

We've had some problems in this area recently, but perhaps not quite the same
as yours.  We've been working with RevBrowser on OS X, for content that
included some Flash elements.  Performance wasn't noticed as an issue, but
interactivity, in particular dragging, was very difficult.  Where we had
access to the source code, we found that recompiling in AS3 made a
considerable difference; however we weren't able to fix all issues like this.
  It seems that some ways that Flash/certain Flash movies detect mouse events
don't work reliably under RevBrowser.

Other than compiling under AS3, if your work isn't already, I don't have
anything to suggest; but it would certainly be good to build up some lore
about this.

- Ben