SpellCheck

DunbarX at aol.com DunbarX at aol.com
Fri Dec 12 17:36:48 EST 2008

Eric.

Right on all counts.

In HC I absolutely had to keep the dictionary in an external file and load as
needed. TextEdit limits (30K) would not allow a field to hold the data.

I had a "spellCheck" handler run through the text and present all
questionable words and their possible corrections in a list in an external window. Pretty
much like spell checkers generally do. I am just starting to learn
Transcript. I did not intend this to be pretty, in fact I was just trying to see if I
can work this Rev thing at all.

I had tried to cover what I thought might be the most common spelling or
typing mistakes. More work would be needed to cover transposed letters, or much
more deviant misspellings. All three routines I used are pretty much brute force
text crunching. I am trying to think of a way to find close or nearly colose
text matches in a more elegant way; some sort of hash table where the numeric
value of a word can be matched within a certain range of the numeric values of
other words. The number of the beast. How do the grownups do it?

Craig Newman