Looking for ugly code comparisons WAS: Slashdotter looking for kids' programming language

Dave Cragg dave.cragg at lacscentre.co.uk
Fri Dec 12 11:31:13 EST 2008

On 12 Dec 2008, at 16:09, Judy Perry wrote:

> Except that a child has almost certainly NEVER encountered that dot-
> joining
> that you reference, but HAS encountered "the" rather alot.
> Judy

But more important surely is that the child has never encountered the
programming concept of object properties. In Maths, for example, we
teach kids new syntax for new concepts. I doubt many kids will tell
you that "4 + 4" is more difficult to understand than "4 added to 4".
But before either, we would usually introduce the concept, perhaps
visually with pictures of oranges arranged in groups and so on. I'm
guessing it's the same with programming - if you can establish the
concept, then new syntax can be learned.

Then again, it may be that programming is just plain difficult,
whatever language we use. :-)

Cheers
Dave