Getting the Serial Number of the User's computer

Mark Talluto userev at canelasoftware.com
Wed Dec 10 14:30:46 EST 2008

On Dec 9, 2008, at 10:59 AM, Paul Looney wrote:

> How can I retrieve the computer serial number in OS X, Vista and
> Linux from Rev?
> Thanks in advance, I appreciate it.

Hi Paul,

This is how we get the serial on OS X using shell.  It is very fast
and has the added benefit of identifying refurb macs.

function getSerial
          put empty into tSerial
          put shell("/usr/sbin/system_profiler SPHardwareDataType")
into tResult
          repeat with x=1 to the number of lines of tResult
               if "Serial Number" is in line x of tResult then put
line x of tResult into tSerial
          end repeat
          if tSerial is not empty then put the last word of tSerial
into tSerial
          if tSerial is empty then put "Refurb Mac" into tSerial
          return tSerial
end getSerial

Mark Talluto
http://www.canelasoftware.com