When they ask, what is this written in?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Dec 2 09:54:20 EST 2008

Mikey wrote:
> Not to pick on Einstein, but it was his wife's work.  He took credit
> for it for them both, due to the societal norms in the early 20th
> century, which was inconvenient when they divorced, since he didn't
> accomplish anything afterwards.

I can find no documentation supporting the notion that Einstein was a fraud.

The most extreme version of that I've come across is merely that
Einstein's first wife, Mileva Maric, was a contributor to his work.

And even that seems based on slender and sometimes misquoted evidence,
and is strongly refuted by many Einstein historians:

<http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/print/19267>

There is little doubt that Ms. Maric was a talented if not brilliant
physicist, and indeed in a different era she might well have been more
famous.  And as Einstein's wife no doubt their conversations had some
influence on the direction of his research.

But did she specifically do most of the work on the papers he published
under his own name?  I can't turn up anything to substantiate that.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal