[WAAAY OT] Help - name needed

Judy Perry katheryn.swynford at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 23:09:10 EDT 2008

Well, the clarinet is probably resin unless it is very expensive, in
which case it may well be grenadilla or some other expens9ive
(probably African-origin) wood.  The flute is likely some silver-alloy
(although Flutenet I think has had some really intriguing articles on
how materials matter little and that a concrete flute would likely
sound indistinguisable from a 9k gold one, though flutes are also made
of platinum, wood & resin, pus -- l.et's think about it:  if you
really think that materials matter, remember just how little gold goes
into 9k gold, and yet people will pay $10K - $20k or more for a 9k
gold fl8te over one of similar probably hand-made flutes of other
materials composition); Sir James Galway has noted that, from
recordings of his own work, he cannot tell the metal composition of
his flute being used, and Nina Perlove on YouTube has some interesting
blind play-tests with flutes of varying materials composition.

Not that any of this helps you with a name ;-)

Judy