Re-2: Removing CRLF from text

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Aug 7 13:03:07 EDT 2008

Mark Schonewille wrote:
> On Unix systems, the line delimiter is ASCII 10. On HyperCard, ASCII
> 13 was used. On HyperCard is was called a return and a way had to be
> invented to make conversion of HyperCard stacks, as well as HyperCard
> users, to Revolution as easy as possible. Treating both linefeeds and
> returns as linefeeds as equals really made this easier.
>
> The question remains, what would have happened if Revolution had used
> ASCII 13? Probably, this would have complicated using Rev stacks as
> shell and CGI scripts in Unix systems.

Another questions might be: Should Rev consider using real CR (ASCII
13)for the constant "CR", perhaps with a global property that can be set
for compatibility.

Internally it could continue to use ASCII 10 as the main line delimiter,
merely encouraging folks to use LF where they commonly use CR today.

Mikey's response is not unique; it seems all of us have scratched our
head over this at one time or another.  We learned it and moved on,
grateful that our habits of old Mac-specific HyperTalk were able to be
carried forward.  But for Rev to be successful, we must see more users
in the next five years than have ever used the product before, and
things which reduce head-scratching will aid adoption.

Just a thought.  I'm sure there are others. :)

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal