Creating variables

Eric Chatonet eric.chatonet at sosmartsoftware.com
Wed Aug 6 10:53:39 EDT 2008

To be frank, I don't understand:
Below is your code snippet simplified.
What it does?
It stores a variable into a custom property: so far so good ;-)
But what more?
Please, enlighten me :-)

on mouseUp
    ask "Name of pseudo variable:" with "anExample"
    if it is empty then exit mouseUp
    put it into varName
    ask "value of variable" && varName
    if it is empty then exit mouseUp
    put it into varValue
    set the myProps[varName] of me to varValue
    answer "Do you want to retrieve the value of your variable?" with
"Cancel" or "OK"
    if it is "OK" then
       answer "This is the value of variable" && varName & ":" && the
myProps[varName] of me
    end if
end mouseUp

Le 6 août 08 à 15:41, François Chaplais a écrit :

> I think I have found a workaround for working with "variables"
> referenced by names. It involves custom property sets. These can be
> referenced by name. Here is an button script example:
>
> on mouseUp
>   ask "Custom property set?" with "example"
>   if it is empty then
>     exit mouseup
>   end if
>   put it into theName
>   set the customPropertySet of me to theName
>   put the customproperties[thename] of me into myProps
>   --  creation of variable by asking name; can be replaced by
> anything that returns a string
>   ask "Name of pseudo variable:" with "anExample"
>   put it into varName
>   if varName is empty then
>     exit mouseup
>   end if
>   -- assigning value of "variable" anything will do, I think, since
> this is a custom property
>   ask "value of variable" && varName -- put your code here
>   if it is empty then
>     exit mouseup
>   end if
>   put it into myProps[varName]
>   set customproperties[thename] of me to myProps -- value is set
>   answer "Do you want to retrieve the value of your variable?" with
> "Cancel" or "OK"
>   if it is "OK" then -- retrieve variable value
>     put the customproperties[thename] of me into myProps
>     get myProps[varName]
>     answer "This is the value of variable" && varName & ":" && it
>   end if
> end mouseUp
>
> I think this can be made pretty generic and split into several
> independent handlers/functions. Moreover the variables can be
> accessed globally and are stored in the stack file upon save.
> haven't tried in in a standalone for the moment, though.
>
> Best regards,
> François

Best regards from Paris,
Eric Chatonet.