The Euro symbol

Eric Chatonet eric.chatonet at sosmartsoftware.com
Mon Aug 4 03:52:30 EDT 2008

Bonjour Sarah,

€, £ and $ on Win: 128, 163, 36
€, £ and $ on Mac: 219, 163, 36

Probably can you test the platform and use 128 or 219 according to it?
Money apps are a pain...
The problem will not be solved ;-)
For instance:
$10.50 (English) and 10,50 € (French)
The best way should probably to get the current money format from the
system (International/Formats on Mac OS and... on Win)
I wonder if this kind of issue has not been treated yet on the list
two years ago.

Le 4 août 08 à 09:20, Sarah Reichelt a écrit :

> Hi people,
>
> Can anyone give me some advice on the cross-platform issues with the
> Euro symbol?
>
> On my Mac, numToChar(216) gives the Euro symbol, but on my Windows
> virtual machine, that doesn't work, but numToChar(128) does. Is this
> correct for all varieties of Windows?
>
> I am helping with an app that switches currencies and is
> cross-platform. The currency symbol occurs in fields all over the app
> so it takes a while to change. Before building a standalone, we set
> the symbol as required, then build the version for that currency. Now
> it appears that we have to set the euro symbol to one thing, build for
> Mac, then set it to something else and build for Windows.
>
> Surely there has to be an easier, more standard way to handle the
> Euro symbol?

Best regards from Paris,
Eric Chatonet.