good Rev demos

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Sat Apr 12 00:30:34 EDT 2008

Colin:

go to "http://www.hinduismtoday.com/digital/

subscribe (its free) and download the Digital Edition of Hinduism Today.

The site is a very retro 1997 design (we are working on that... will be
launching a new site later this year) but Hinduism Today Digital
Edition  (HTDE) "rocks" for those who

a) are willing to install an executable
b) have the bandwidth

Of course this app is not content, in and of itself, it's a content
delivery system, so if your Flash crowd are purely "creative" and not
interested in the "big picture" then, like Mark says, they may just "shrug"

The whole thing is Revolution from end to end-- (well almost, the back
end subscription dBase is PostGreSQL--but CGI that handle registration,
delivery, the executable that is installed  etc. is all Revolution.

The "must run in a browser" sentiment is softening. In fact, the
conventional wisdom now is: if you *can* get users to download an
executable, its *way* better that they have a "sticky" application on
the client machine that "locks in" your users in a way that a regular
web site can never do...there's a growing segment of web users who are
pretty sick of the info glut and are happy to be able to go off line and
use your sticky app that is focus on a single content theme instead of
staring at a 4 column web page with 150 links squeezed onto a single
screen. So, both are important elements in an enterprise delivery system.

At any rate... I really don't think that building the same HTDE app in
Flash
would even be remotely possible in any reasonable time frame. The beauty
of it is:
You are working in a single language across the entire framework (minus
a  few shell calls to do the PostGreSQL queries... i.e. you do need to
know a bit  of SQL talk..)

Andre recently ramped up the Media Viewer stack in HTDE... the UI that
is generate by the executable is installed on the client machine, but
when you click on "View Multi-media" you get a stack downloaded over the
net, and it then in turn downloads another small data base stack with
all the meta data for the media viewer. I believe others are doing
similar things and are in fact way ahead of us... but, it works...
Again, this is a delivery framework... not content as such... so its a
"different animal" ... but shows possibilities.