good Rev demos

Björnke von Gierke bvg at mac.com
Thu Apr 10 08:21:04 EDT 2008

On 10 Apr 2008, at 05:47, Colin Holgate wrote:
> I have a couple of presentations in early May, to groups that are
> mostly into Flash, and I'll be showing them Revolution. Are there
> good examples of what Revolution has been used for that I could show?

The problem with flash vs rev comparisons is that flash excels exactly
where rev has the biggest deficits: Fast and reliable animation and
impressive support for vector graphics. Obviously your flash users did
choose flash because of it's strengths, and not it's weaknesses.

Said that, I always find these things interesting about Rev:

repeat for each, chunks and data handling
  - http://support.runrev.com/scriptingconferences/ (unfortunately,
link broken)
  - http://runrev.com/developers/tutorials/
(almost) native look on 3 platforms
  - best to just compile test app for 3 platforms at once
IDE made with the same language (this especially would be very hard
with flash)
  - Glx2 script editor -> http://www.daniels-mara.com/glx2/
  - BvG Docu -> http://www.bjoernke.com/runrev/stacks.php (i made this)

If you want to show how rev handles the strengths of flash, then look
at these:

Web development:
  - http://www.himalayanacademy.com/ (mostly made with rev cgi)
  - http://www.fourthworld.com/products/webmerge/index.html
  - http://www.altuit.com/webs/hemingway/hemingway/default.htm
Creating Buttons:
  - http://www.buttongadget.com/buttongadget2/default.htm
  - http://www.tactilemedia.com (navigate to "media", because it's
flash)
Animation:
  - http://www.runrev.com/products/related-software/animation-engine-2/

I'm sure there are thousand of other examples, but these came to mind
immediately. In the end it hugely depends on what you actually want to
show.

Bjoernke

--

official ChatRev page: