Kiosk Question - Lock User In

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Sun Sep 16 15:42:07 EDT 2007

Andre Garzia wrote:
> or if we really want to lock the user in, use a virtualizator such as
> parallels or vmware fusion and lock the user into a virtual machine with
> only the application running... he will not be able to cmd+tab or
> cmd+control+esc or anything...
> (if we want to be safe...)
>
> On 9/16/07, Mark Schonewille <m.schonewille at economy-x-talk.com> wrote:
>> ...and a third app to see if the second app is running and...? :-)
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Mark Schonewille

Thanks to all for responses. I'm sorry if I don't always acknowledge the
wonderful help from everyone here... I'm often away from this
forum for days at a time.

Of all the options the simplest thing for now seems to be to create
a  new "managed" user, (e.g. "Guest") in addition to a user who has
admin privileges

-- turn on parental controls
-- disable *all* applications
-- turn on "simple finder"
-- put your application in the "Shared" folder.

Apple seems to have thought about this a bit... as it is possible to then
switch to "Full Finder" by entering the admin password.

Logging in then a "guest" you really have a super "crippled" user.
In fact it is so crippled that even logging into the network and
accessing the
our XServe via the LAN seems to be problematic even if you log in
as a valid user to that machine... (which will be a different problem
if we want this "kiosk" box to read and write files to the server over
the LAN)
All kinds of wierd AFP msgs start popping up as if the  system doesn't
have access to needed resources you would have if you logged in as
a user with more privileges... but that's another story... I'm not sure we
will need to AFP mount any volumes on the server... we will manage
all "conversations" with the serve by http-cgi posts

As for http access, we will just have our net admin set up the firewall to
grant only access to our domain to the IP of this box.

Now, the *only* thing a user could do would be to force quit and be
landed back into a finder which is virtually empty of anything except
an icon to our app. He's jailed in.... If you set start up to only show
a log in prompt and not the list of users, then even if he reboots the
machine, he's going to be "stuck"  , The only applications in
"My Applications" is Firefox (or Safari)

Worse case scenario, we come and find that our app is off or the machine is
shut down... but no way he can do anything.

And we could, if we need to use Luis's suggestion about a "monitor" app that
reboots the main app. I supposed that could even be invisible.

and