Kiosk Question - Lock User In

Jeff Reynolds jeff at siphonophore.com
Sun Sep 16 14:24:05 EDT 2007

Sivakatirswami,

you are correct rev is the best solution here! many public kiosk apps
living happily for years at many museums made in meta/rev!

As others have suggested, getting rid of the keyboard in a public
place is the best thing to do. i they do need to put in some input
then just do a split screen and create a screen keyboard they can use
to do limited input with.

The main reason to do this is that the public (even with light use)
can be very, very hard on hardware. keeping as much of it away from
them as possible is the best option. best option is to use a touch
screen lcd that is bezeled into a wall or something to provide
support and keep folks from trying to move or poke around it.
Keyboards just spell trouble. all sorts of stuff can be dropped into
them. mice and trackballs can also have amazingly short lives on
displays.

While i have rarely seen folks trying to purposely damage equipment,
they just seem to be oblivious to things on display at all and dont
treat them as they would their own home computer. Hacking isnt
usually on purpose also, many times someone just happens to click or
hit the keyboard oddly and things happen... We had one Kiosk app that
kept crashing and could not figure out why until we put a camera on
the display. looked like when folks were trying to click on some
buttons on the right hand side of the screen things were bombing.
could not reproduce this in the office. finally i worked on the
machine in situ and i could get it to crash if i rolled the track
ball as far as it could go to the right. would not do this with other
mice or trackballs. replaced the track ball and all was fine, best we
could guess it the track ball got bunged up with public use as no one
(even at the manufacturer) had see this before...

i would suggest that to start you just block off the keyboard with a
piece of wood and putting a mouse or trackball out. you may also want
to put a piece of plexi glass in front of the screen as folks will
also poink the screen thinking its a touch screen and the even just
like to point at things and touch them anyways. the power book lcds
are not that hardy of a surface and sharp fingernails can help this.

there are touch screens for lcds that mount on a piece of glass you
put over your lcd to really make them tough if you find stuff gets
banged up quickly. you never will know what the abuse will be in an
environment until you try it! Ive had places where i thought things
would get trashed do fine and other places i thought would be fine
get trashed...

cheers,

Jeffrey Reynolds

On Sep 16, 2007, at 1:00 PM, use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com