strange nested groups behaviour

Eric Chatonet eric.chatonet at sosmartsoftware.com
Tue Sep 11 07:12:34 EDT 2007

Hello Björnke, Mark and all,

Le 11 sept. 07 à 12:47, Björnke von Gierke a écrit :

> On 10 Sep 2007, at 23:03, Mark Wieder wrote:
>
>> jbv-
>>
>> In addition to the above weirdnesses with the owner of a group, I
>> think it's
>> also bad form to use a keyword as the name of an object. You'll
>> probably
>> stay out of trouble more if you name it something like "grpDate".
>> YMMV.
>
> Can you elaborate on why that would be bad form? I never had
> problems with naming things the same as a keyword, as long as I
> quoted the name, which I always do.
>
> I did however have problems with using only numbers as names, or
> starting a stack's name with "rev".

I think that Mark wanted to point out that using 'reserved' word for
controls names, variables, etc. is, in itself, not a good idea.
Sure if you quote all controls names (as I do it :-) there should not
be any problem: it's only a question of 'right' behavior to avoid
issues when coding.
Making variables explicit, not using 'reserved words' (BTW 'date' is
the same word in English and French :-), quoting all controls names
is probably more exigent but prevents many errors ;-)

As for stacks prefixed with 'rev', yes, the IDE treats them in
another way (for instance, such stacks are hidden when editing a
script). Actually it's very interesting to use this prefix when
building plugins but it is a bit touchy, in particular when debugging
(you have to set the gRevDevelopment global variable to true to be
able to debug). There are many other differences, of course and 'rev'
prefix should be only used when building tools for the IDE. If I
remember well, the IDE displays a well documented confirmation dialog
when you attempt to name a stack with a 'rev' prefix :-)

Best regards from Paris,
Eric Chatonet.