Window Sizes on Different Macs

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Sep 10 19:03:53 EDT 2007

Josh Mellicker wrote:

> When designing for different size screens, also remember to take the
> OS X Dock into account- you don't know:
>
>   - how big your user has their Dock
>   - whether they have "auto-hide" on
>   - whether it is Bottom (most common), Left or Right
>
> My solution is to get the screenRect on startup, and
>
> case it's too small
> alert the user and quit
>
> case it's 1024 X 768
> set decorations to none and try to fit the stack as big as possible
>
> case it's bigger
> run normally (I design for 1024 X 768 minimum)

Tip:  If you get the windowBoundingRect instead of the screenRect you'll
get a rect that accounts for both the menubar and Dock (on OS X) and the
Task Bar (Win). Since the size of both the Dock and the Task Bar are
user-settable, it's the most convenient way to account for any
configuration the user may have.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal