Data synchronization

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Mon Sep 3 05:24:44 EDT 2007

On 3/9/07 11:58 AM, "Alex Shaw" <alex at harryscollar.com> wrote:

Hi Alex,

>>> Maybe embedded Vserver is an option but your wiki is low on details on
>>> what is involved to integrate into main rev application.
>>
>> Please ask specific questions on Valentina list,
>> And I will try give you points to correct WIKI pages.
>>

> I have done a search on the wiki & it seems to indicate the embedded
> server isn't quite embedded as I originally imagined. ie It is a
> separate entity not a linkable library. Just like normal Vserver with a
> few different options plus different license. Correct?

Yes Alex.

Valentina Office Server and Valentina Embedded Server technically are the
same applications.

* Deferens in license first of all -- Valentina Embedded Server give you
much better price when you need deploy a lots of copies of Vserver with your
solution.

* And one additional parameter in Vconnection is used to support above
license. Idea is that only YOUR application can use this Valentina Embedded
Server. Nobody else.

* Valentina Embedded Server is embedded NOT into your client application,
but into your Client/Server solution.

* Really, you now discuss some client/server solution. Right?
    so you already must at least TWO application:

        1) SERVER SIDE application(s)
            (this can be Valentina Embedded Server OR
                Valentina Embedded Server + your middleware app)

        2) CLIENT SIDE application

Agree?

So your client side application of course cannot be LINKED to Valentina
Embedded Server. It will talk to it using sockets.

> I see the customized rev server as a middleware-type application which
> does all direct communication with client apps (I have more control over
> what is and isn't served and also because users have different access
> levels).
>
> Possibly I could use a series of server comms eg. client talks to rev
> management server which would do data-talk to local and/or remote Vserver.

Right, this solution is

    (VSERVER <=> MIDDLEWARE APP)  <=> ClientApp

Although in this case you will have a lots more job todo. You need for
example self work with sockets, and develop own protocol. Such solution
choose teams which have enough power and experience in such tasks.

> But this depends on how you plan to implement off-line client to Vserver
> synch. There are no entries in wiki on this. Can you possible give me an
> idea of the type of API commands to be implemented?

We only thinking about it now and learning other existed solutions to choose
best ideas and apply them to Valentina issues (e.g. In Valentina we need yet
solve problem with correction of ObjectPtr values during synch).

We will be happy do early discussion of this features on Valentina-beta
list.

Btw, you have touch another point to consider:
    If it is possible to implement synch when middleware present.

--
Best regards,

Ruslan Zasukhin
VP Engineering and New Technology