Replacing a stack

Shari shari at gypsyware.com
Tue Oct 23 19:23:18 EDT 2007

I'll definitely post any updates.  I always try to post my final
solution when I ask a question, so that folks searching the archives
someday can find it :-)

My stack files all used to be in the same folder as the app, so when
somebody downloaded a new version, everything was replaced.  They'd
toss the old folder, and replace it with the new one.

Now all my writeable stacks go into a prefs location due to all the
permissions issues on newer platforms.  So if they just replace the
folder, it sees the old stacks and doesn't create new ones.  This can
be a problem if the writeable stacks were also changed in the update.
A lot like the problems that VirtualStore creates, using older,
outdated files.

Hence the need for replacing them on the fly during launch.  Not big
on fancy installers.  I try to put out apps that "install themselves"
when you launch.  They create any parts they need on first launch,
quietly.

Will keep you posted :-)

Shari

--