closeField and exitField problem

David Burgun dave at looktowindward.com
Tue Oct 16 08:21:05 EDT 2007

On 15 Oct 2007, at 20:30, Björnke von Gierke wrote:

> Yes, I too think that validating user entries is one of rev's
> weaknesses. However, artificially increasing the problem by not
> using the fields as data source seems a bit strange to me,
> especially with your reasoning.

One area where this falls down is if you want to enter a password
type field. In this case when the user types a character you want to
display a "*" in the field while accumulating the key strokes in
local storage. You can't use the field as data storage in this case.

> How are these two lines completely different in their horribility?
>
> put field 1 of card 1 into x
> put the field1oncard1 of this stack into x

They are identical and are horrid since the script will break if you
remove the field at a later stage.

> If you're really that much into customprops, you can put the fields
> into them when you leave the card. or with a send in time message,
> or on mousemove, or ...

I don't want to reference an object directly if I can help it. When I
want to get or set the contents of an object I always use a handler
if that object that references the contents via "me", that way if you
remove the object you don't get errors elsewhere in the Stack, all
that happens is that the field no longer gets called.

> More likely is that i didn't understand the problem you have
> correctly, so maybe you should explain it in a different way.

No need since I had my own work-around and there's a better one
posted under this subject on this list which I will implement later on.

All the Best
Dave