Doing in RR what we used to do in HC.

Richmond Mathewson geradamas at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 16 02:29:05 EDT 2007

At this point it should be observed that anybody who
expects "transparency" between HC and RR sounds like
someone who is not aware of the need to keep
developing one's own knowledge and abilities.

At the moment I make part of my living by churning out
moronically simple RR stacks for EFL content delivery
and reinforcement; so moronically simple in fact that
the know-how I use to make them I acquired with HC
16-17 years ago. This does not stop me from
continually trying new things out in RR; and not just
for the sake of it. In 5 years time I may find that my
work changes and I have to be able to produce
something more sophisticated than side-scrolling
pictures of farm animals and gap-fills for the Present
Continuous; if I do not keep on with the "Professional
Development" I will be stuck.

Certainly, when I found out about RR in 2001 it took
me a couple of weeks to realise that:

1. It was not HyperCard (and that is a very important
point),

2. To do easy things was easy, and to do hard things
was harder; but not nearly as hard as in most
programming languages,

3. That it was better than HyperCard.

However, I appreciate it that when I go over to a
friend's house if, when the give me a cup of coffee,
they also give me a spoon and point out where the
sugar is, rather than leaving me to search the whole
kitchen.

This whole discussion, again, again, again, boils down
to 3 things:

1. How adequate the documentation supplied by Runtime
Revolution should be,

2. What constitutes adequacy (Um, tough call;
different for each individual),

and

3. Who can afford the time, money (!?!), and so forth,
to sit down and write a lot of documentation about
which the volume of complaints will be minimal.

And, having stated the above, I think I will cut back
on the jokes for a while :)

sincerely, Richmond Mathewson

A Thorn in the flesh is better than a failed Systems Development Life Cycle.