Emailing from within Revolution

Sarah Reichelt sarah.reichelt at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 01:52:16 EDT 2007

On 10/14/07, Paul Gabel <paulgabel at comcast.net> wrote:
> As an intermediate Revolution user, I'd like my standalone to be able
> to send an email by script completely within Revolution, not, as
> revMail does, require the user to explicitly send it from the email
> application (in my case — Apple's Mail program). I've looked at Shao
> Sean's libSMTP and Altuit's altEmailHarness, but these look rather
> complicated for me and were written at the end of 2005. Is there
> anything easier, more "built-in," and more recent? Thank you.

An option that I have used in one app is to have the Rev program post
to a CGI script on a web site. The script then uses sendmail to create
an email. The advantage of this is that it doesn't need the user's own
email client and it desn't require them to enter the address for an
SMTP server. The data posted to the CGI script includes the "To:",
"From:" & "Subject:" headers are the start, and the rest just becomes
the body of the email.

One caveat: my app is very low traffic. I don't know how this would scale.

Cheers,
Sarah