All this talk about DataBases

Jesse Sng jsng at wayoflife.org
Tue May 29 23:36:45 EDT 2007

>One huge advantage of using an external databsase like SQLite is the
>ability to store data outside of RAM. HyperCard used to use a non-RAM
>based design, but Rev stores everything in RAM. So, if you have an
>address book which has 100,000 records in a single stack, then all the
>records would need to be stored in RAM simultaneously, creating
>performance problems.
>
>Plus, there are a number of huge advantages of using real databases.
>Concurrent users, real transaction management, stored procs, etc..

What I can't understand is the given the huge difference in hw
performance since the days of HC, we should at least expect to have
something that performs reasonably well and on par with whatever we
had back then.

But we've gone through all the reasons and I understand, not posting
this to gripe.

Jesse Sng