All this talk about DataBases

Scott Kane scott at cdroo.com
Tue May 29 23:33:40 EDT 2007

From: "Andre Garzia" <soapdog at mac.com>

Hi Andre,

> Thanks, many people were involved in bringing this resource to life,  I
> belive we all smile when someone likes it! Don't we all love when  it
> works! :-)

Indeed!   I love finding stuff out about other cultures, too.

> remember for each query you do, Apache has to start the revolution
> engine, load the stack, load the database stack, perform the  operations,
> build the response and shut everything down. This all  happens very
> quickly.

Yes.  I was pleasantly surprised.

> Coding databases in Rev is not like doing SQL databases at all, you  need
> to code your software in smart ways, like build indexes and  really think
> about your search and cross-reference routines. If  possible the heavy
> duty job should be done on database insert/removal/ modification. Like
> when something changes the database, you  recalculate all kinds of things
> to speed up your queries. Usually a  database has more queries than it has
> modifications so if you make  the modifications slower (due to extra
> computation) to make the  queries faster, people will be happy.

That's quite interesting.  The project I'm considering presently needs to be
cross-platform and I'd rather not have to worry about shelling (in *nix) or
using MySQL or similar that require the user to setup the database.
Normally I'd just go for altSQL as it's a perfect solution - but not so much
for *nix.  I may well change how I see this but in the meantime your
comments have given me considerable food for thought.  The index idea is
very cool.

Scott Kane
CD Too - Voice Overs Artist  & Original Game and Royalty Free Multi-Media
Music
"The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a
little way past them into the impossible."
Arthur C Clarke