altID

David Bovill david at openpartnership.net
Sat May 26 15:16:25 EDT 2007

On 26/05/07, Dick Kriesel <dick.kriesel at mail.com> wrote:

> Then each template knows its copies, each copy knows its template, and
> each
> target knows which copies of which templates it contains. Your code can
> refer to a control in any of the copies using an "of group id" clause to
> disambiguate the altIDs.
>
> <script>
>   put the text of control id tAltID of group id \
>     the uTemplateCopies[tTemplateName,tLibraryName,tCopyNumber] of tTarget
> </script>

Yes - but the problem is you cannot use "control id tAltID of group id" -
thats why it does not work. If it did I could use altID and in cases where i
had several copies - just use the "control id tAltID of group id" syntax.
For now it looks like using "names" is the only way to go. The technique I
have been using for a while is to use getprop handlers for a layer of
abstraction - any call to a component refers to "the tree_View of someView -
with "getprop tree-View" returning a long id. In special case where you want
to be able to rename an object you can use "group 2 of me" syntax or use the
type of custom property look up you mention above.