Popping up stacks

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Fri May 25 16:38:30 EDT 2007

Recently, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> I've made a few dialogs over the years, and about
> half of them were generalized into reusable libraries.  Modals are
> useful, but they're, well, modal.
>
> This is a subtle distinction, but in practice it affects the feel of a
> program's flow.
>
> To use an extreme example, imagine if HyperCard's toolbox was a modal
> dialog.  Sure, it'd only be an extra click to use it, but it would feel
> more like a separate thing, less integrated with the flow.

Perhaps you could build a fake sheet implementation (fake so that it works
crossplatform).  If you want something more "integrated with the flow", this
is pretty good IMO, and offers a little bit of eye candy with in/out
animation.  Not sure if having controls reside within the stack is drawback
for you (as opposed to stored in an external stack).

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, Multimedia & Design