Popping up stacks

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri May 25 16:29:33 EDT 2007

Chipp Walters wrote:
> Why don't you use a modal dialog for this? You can script it so your code
> accesses it 'in process' for a handler, which makes your job pretty easy.
>
> Check out:
> "Creating a reusable dialog box" at
> http://www.altuit.com/webs/revCentral/Number7/default.htm
>
> for a quicky type solution which shows an 'in process' use of a modal
> dialog.

Thanks, Chipp.  Yes, I've made a few dialogs over the years, and about
half of them were generalized into reusable libraries.  Modals are
useful, but they're, well, modal.

This is a subtle distinction, but in practice it affects the feel of a
program's flow.

To use an extreme example, imagine if HyperCard's toolbox was a modal
dialog.  Sure, it'd only be an extra click to use it, but it would feel
more like a separate thing, less integrated with the flow.

In Office 12, the new Galleries could probably have been modals as well,
as similar features were in earlier versions.

But there's something very immediate-feeling about having a gallery pop
up from the toolbar.  And while a modal requires an explicit gesture to
dismiss it, menus are dismissed by doing anything outside of it,
allowing the busy user to move on to do something else if the mood
strikes them, and the menu politely gets out of their way and lets them
do it.

There are a lot of niceties like that in Office 12.  I've been reading
Jensen Harris' blog on its design ever since Dan Shafer first turned me
on to it:
<http://blogs.msdn.com/jensenh/>

This analysis from Nielsen helps lend some perspective:
<http://www.useit.com/alertbox/wysiwyg.html>

I share Neilsen's opinion that Ribbons represent one of the few truly
new things in UIs since the standardization on the WIMP model (Windows,
Icons, Menus, Pointer).  While we're not moving our UIs to a full
Ribbons model, on a couple apps we're leaning in that direction with
smarter and more complete toolbars.  Galleries as popup panes work well
within that model, and they feel more "flowy", so over time I suspect
many things which had been dialogs in our apps will migrate over time to
popup panes.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation