Difference between revdb_connect and revOpenDatabases ?

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Fri May 25 06:13:05 EDT 2007

--- Tiemo Hollmann TB <toolbook at kestner.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to use with 2.8.1 the now integrated sqlite
> db and stumbled over two
> different sets of db functions. The first one start
> with revdb_, like
> revdb_connect and the other ones have names like
> revOpenDatabases. I have
> found examples for both, but probably one is "old
> fashioned" and one is new
> and for the future? Can someone explain the
> difference ( concerning the use
> of sqlite) and which set of functions is the "state
> of the art" using rev
> today?
>
> Thanks for any explanation
>
> Tiemo

Hi Tiemo,

Originally, there were only the 'revdb_' commands and
functions. In Revolution 2.0, a number of synonyms
were added to make them easier to recognize and
understand.
The good news is that they're interchangeable: for
instance, if you have a database connection opened
with 'revdb_connect', you can use this connection ID
with the 'revDataFromQuery' function. The same goes
for all functions and commands that have to do with
cursors.
The not-so-good news is that this can cause some
confusion, as users aren't quite sure if one set is
deprecated and will go away in the future. And there
are some subtle differences where the 'revdb_' syntax
is a function, but the 'revXYZ' syntax is a command.

Personally, I still use the 'revdb_' set as I find it
easier to recognize that I'm doing something with the
database library external.
Maybe someday we'll get a proper namespacing feature
in the language and then there will be less confusion
- or just different confusion, as the case may be ;-)

Hope this helped,

Jan Schenkel.

Quartam Reports for Revolution
<http://www.quartam.com>