Protect a folder of pictures

Mark Schonewille m.schonewille at economy-x-talk.com
Fri May 18 16:49:39 EDT 2007

Hi Ludovic and Joe,

I fully agree with Joe. It is a waste of time to try to protect a
folder. When your programme is running, the folder will be
unprotected and people can copy the files. If people can't figure out
how to copy files, they can still make a screenshot.

As an alternative, you can make your own format. For example, you can
save the imagedata, mask data and alphadata of an image object to a
file and use these instead of a complete picture. Or you can use
normal PNG files but add a number of characters at the beginning and
end of the file, which you will ignore when reading the file before
you set the text of an image object. This is faster than completely
scrambling a picture, but nothing will be as fast as setting the
filename of an image object to the path to an unscrambled image.

You might be tempted to use encryption, but that takes a lot of CPU
power and will strongly reduce performance of your application.

Just don't forget that one could always make screenshots.

Best,

Mark

--

Economy-x-Talk
Consultancy and Software Engineering

Download at http://www.salery.biz

Op 18-mei-2007, om 21:15 heeft Joe Lewis Wilkins het volgende
geschreven: