End of U3?

Judy Perry jperryl at ecs.fullerton.edu
Tue May 15 03:41:00 EDT 2007

Yeah, I need apps that are designed to run around the end line, er,
whatever it's called.

I guess I've got all summer to try to figure it out :-D

As you say, I think I worry about the following:

> Traditionally, apps designed for installation on the hard drive may
> expect to write a preferences file on the drive, and may modify the
> registry to set up file type associations.  Those using VB or some other
> systems may also be dependent on any number of DLLs which will need to
> be installed in specific folders on the drive.

--Uhh, yeah.  I think that's what I'm worried about ;-)

> But an app can be designed not to need that stuff, to keep everything on
> the drive it's running on.  Since Rev standalones are self-contained, as
> long as they don't go out of their way to modify the system (prefs
> files, registry, etc.) they'll run from any removable media.

--but most don't, right??  Like, does Rev?  I have to admit that I never
tried; once I got the "no can do" dialogue from Win2K, I didn't go any
further.  My bad, I suppose.  I've got this week (read, tomorrow) to give
it the 'old college try'  ;-)

Judy