End of U3?

Judy Perry jperryl at ecs.fullerton.edu
Mon May 14 01:19:08 EDT 2007

Hi Richard,

Because I'm at a satellite campus instead of the main campus, especially
that part of the main campus which is composed of computer labs operated
by my department.

So, U3 drives so that I can have students d/o demo's/shareware software
not officially honkey-dorey by our IT folks (which is basically
everything that is NOT MS Office...).

Am I mistaken?  Isn't that THE BIG THING about the U3 drives?  That you
can run apps off them?

Here's the slightly longer story:  I'm now teaching the "Computer  Impact
on Society" course which is general ed every semester.  Just recently,
when looking for one of the early articles written by Richard Decker (of
Analytical Engine fame) on why he thought HT was a good CS0/CS1 language,
I found another one in which he was ruminating about CS0/CS1 in general,
and, in particular made a comment something to the effect that courses
such as "computer imapct" ones ... 'are limited to the extent to which the
content is divorced from an understanding of the technology being
referenced.'

And, of course, I find this to be a keen observation.  As much as Trevor
or one of the other kind folks might well tell you what a complete DB
weenie I am, still, I have some vague concept of what one is, even if I
can't quite figure out how to handle the server side versus client side
aspects of how I'd like to see one done.

I'm not digressing too much.  By way of an example, I find that my
students have all sorts of strongly-voiced sentiments about how they don't
mind privacy rights violations/intrusions associated with large
governmental databases, purchasing data mined by private entities which is
illegal for the government to collect itself directly, the merging of
large databases, etc. etc. ... BUT... when asked if they know what a
database it/how it works/its characteristics... I see maybe 1 or 2 hands
go up, and at least 1 of those only  knows how to hit the "print" button
in FileMaker Pro to print a pre-defined report.

Hence, I'd like for them to be able to d/l the FileMaker demo and put
together a simple database or two.

Und so weiter...  ;-)

Judy