Funny characters in email addresses

Sarah Reichelt sarah.reichelt at gmail.com
Sun May 13 22:16:42 EDT 2007

Hi All,

I have an email client written in Rev that has started having problems
sending to a particular address. The address includes an apostrophe
(which I would have thought was not allowed). It works when sending
from Apple Mail, but when I send from Rev, the email bounces back with
SMTP error 553 which is "Requested action not taken: mailbox name not
allowed". Checking the raw source of an email sent from this address,
in the envelope-sender, the apostrophe has been replaced by a question
mark, but really I have no idea.

Does anyone know what I should do? I could URLencode the address
(although this also encodes the @), or I could replace the apostrophe
with something else, but I don't know what.

TIA,
Sarah